Mark Hughes - Upcoming Thingies


    Fresh off the tarmac after Winnipeg Fringe Fest I had a chance to chat with Vancouver comedian Mark Hughes about some upcoming events. Right around the corner is the Victoria Fringe Fest which will offer a chance to see his solo show Tragedy + Time Served = Comedy. For show times and ticket info click here. Based on true life events, Hughes makes light of addiction and spending too much time in jail. If you're easily offended save yourself the aspirin and stay home. Dark subject matter is perfect fodder for comedy, especially for someone whose lived it. After all, if you can't laugh at your own pitfalls life isn't worth living.
    Hughes is co-creator of the Comedy Shocker series which will be seeing it's fourteenth show this October and featuring a lineup of filth that is surely not for the squeamish. For up-to-date information check in on their Facebook page here or follow along on Twitter for the kind of jokes that you might get fired for sharing.


The many faces of a recovered dirtbag. 


DK: Aloha! Welcome back from Winnipeg. How was it? What was a highlight?


MH: Hi! I had a great time. There were some good shows with really good reception. The audiences really
        appreciated it. That's really what it is at the end of the day, getting to know the audience through my
        performance. It's not like we're actually talking and I get to know them, you know what I mean... They get
        to know me, obviously, but... I guess that's why I do it, ultimately.


DK: You're gonna be in Victoria later this month.

MH: Yeah, Victoria Fringe starts August 23rd and goes to September 3rd. I have 6 shows.


Traumedy At It's Finest


DK: Your part in VFF is Tragedy + Time Served = Comedy. You've been doing that show for a while now. When
        did it first come together?

MH: It premiered in Vancouver in 2016. I've done it quite a few times since then.


DK: It's kind of natural that things will evolve and change as it goes. Is it significantly different now from
        where it started?


MH: It's quite a bit different. The story is pretty much the same because it's my life. I've changed most of the
        jokes and some of the stories. I'm also more comfortable telling it so it has a more 
conversational feel. It's
        basically as close as you can get to sitting around the table 
while I'm telling you my life story....except I'm
        on a stage... and I'm talking 
at you... and you're not really talking back or asking questions. (laughs)

DK: So it's like a lot of conversations with a lot of people. 
(laughs) I saw that you've got another 
Comedy
        Shocker coming up. That's an ongoing series and you're up to number 14 now. What's the 
frequency of
        production?


MH: Yes! It happens four times a year. The next one will be on October 14th at The Rickshaw.

DK: If you could have anyone, living or dead, join the line-up, who would you have?

MH: Living or dead... I would like to have Stanhope headline. We'd love to get him back up here.


Comedy Shocker


Written by Dink Kickin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's A Bundyful Life. ('Twas The Night Before Christmas by Al Bundy)

Exploding Toads?! Damn, Nature!

It's a Long and Dirty Road